Beat the Trade Winds: Molokini Crater Mid-Morning Snorkel Tour
Molokini Crater Done Right
Molokini Crater is the top snorkeling destination for visitors to Maui, with the clearest water in Hawaii and over 250 species of fish.
Departs from South Maui
Depart from Maluaka Beach with a beach loading (don’t want to miss this!). Maluaka Beach is in Makena, just south of the Wailea resorts.
A Luxury Snorkeling Tour
Enjoy a bountiful spread of locally-sourced food throughout the day, finishing with a gourmet lunch. After snorkeling, enjoy an open bar with Kona beers on tap and local spirits.
Molokini Crater Snorkeling Tour
Wailea-Makena’s Exclusive Catamaran Charter
Every time we board the Kai Kanani II, we meet group after group who go with Kai Kanani every time they visit Maui. I love the beach loading, Erica loves the exclusivity of Molokini Crater thanks to Kai Kanani’s South Maui location, and Henry loves their food. Our toddler doesn’t care that it is locally sourced, but we do.
Beach-loading off of Maluaka Beach in Makena, Kai Kanani II is a 5-10 minute ride from the Wailea resorts. With this mid-morning snorkel, you will enjoy the deep blue ocean while the sun is high. Kai Kanani is proud to call South Maui home and you won’t forget the experience they provide!
Book directly with Kai Kanani here.
Tours Offered Daily
Book with confidence as we are proud to offer direct booking.
Molokini Snorkeling Details
Molokini Crater Snorkel Tour Highlights
Bring your camera!
Frequently Asked Questions
Signature Deluxe Snorkel Tour Details
Tours may change/cancel due to unexpected weather or other circumstances. 10 passenger minimum.
Guaranteed whale sightings from December 1, 2021 (guests will be invited to come back on another tour at no cost if there were no whales spotted during the tour – space permitting)
What is the cancellation policy?
Cancellations made after the grace period for your group size will result in a 100% charge being incurred (no refund).
For groups of 5 or fewer, notification of cancellation must be received by phone at (808) 879-7218 at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour time. Parties adhering to this policy will receive a full refund. Any notice given with less than 48 hours remaining before the tour time will NOT be considered valid and NO refund will be offered.
For groups of 6 or more, notification of cancellation must be received by phone at (808) 879-7218 at least 7 days prior to the scheduled tour time. Parties adhering to this policy will receive a full refund. Any notice given with less than 7 days remaining before the tour time will NOT be considered valid and NO refund will be offered.
For groups of 10 or more, notification of cancellation must be received by phone at (808) 879-7218 at least 14 days prior to the scheduled tour time. Parties adhering to this policy will receive a full refund. Any notice given with less than 14 days remaining before the tour time will NOT be considered valid and NO refund will be offered.
Can I bring a good camera?
Absolutely! Bring a GoPro or another suitable water camera to get underwater shots. You can also bring your fancy camera but there may be light spray so make sure you can keep it dry.
Kai Kanani also welcomes you to bring your phone, camera, electronic keys, etc. but first, make sure they are not in your pockets. They highly recommend you bring a waterproof bag to put these items in. If you do not have one, don’t worry, they are happy to provide you with a small plastic bag before the tour begins. If you have a waterproof camera – even better. Be sure to hold those bags nice and high as you are walking through the water.
What should I expect with beach loading?
Beach loading has its challenges: it takes experienced captains and crew to ensure the tour is fun and safe. Kai Kanani has been at it for more than 30 years and has the most experienced beach-loading crew on the island, with each one specially trained to deal with the specific conditions that occur at pristine Maluaka Beach.
- The crew will have you form two lines for our two boarding steps.
- The crew will point out any potential hazards, such as the white cross beam that taller passengers will need to duck under
- The crew is there to assist you with bags, children, and adults who need a hand.
- You’ll hear our crew giving instructions. Please listen to them! They might see something you don’t. If they say, “Stop!” it’s for a good cause.
- If you need any assistance, ask! That’s what we do best.
While going up and down the ladder, most people are so excited looking down at the water that they forget to look up. As you’re boarding the ladder, grab onto those metal handrails with both hands and make sure to avoid the cross beam above you.
Does Kai Kanani provide transport from my resort?
Kai Kanani offers a Mercedes shuttle service from select Wailea Resorts to and from their launching point at Maluaka Beach. Space is limited, so contact Kai Kanani to reserve your space.
What is the Health and Safety policy?
Your health is their top priority and Kai Kanani have put special measures in place to keep all guests safe both during and after your activity.
• Stringent Cleaning – They’ve increased the frequency of disinfecting surfaces and high traffic areas between each tour, and hand sanitizer will be available to all of their guests.
• Social Distancing – Guests will stay at a safe 6-foot distance during all points of the tour. They also ensure that all staff members will be wearing the necessary PPE.
• Wellness Checks – Employees receive daily wellness checks to ensure they are healthy and symptom-free. If you or anyone in your group is experiencing symptoms, they will work directly with you to cancel or reschedule your tour.
What do I need to wear?
- What to wear: They recommend swimwear on all of our trips, including our Adventure Sunset Sail. Clothes that can be worn over swimwear are great but you’ll want to take those off when you board and disembark the vessel. Once onboard, feel free to put clothes over your swimwear.
- Footwear: You will be asked to walk barefoot across the sand before boarding to ensure that a sneaky wave won’t take your shoes off or they don’t inhibit your progress as you step onto Kai Kanani II. Once onboard, feel free to wear your footwear.
- Towels: They ask that you bring your own towels to our snorkel tours. They provide towels on the Adventure Sunset Sail. Those towels stay with them so it’s good to keep a towel in your car or an extra in your bag for when you disembark.
Will I get seasick?
- The Kai Kanani II is a performance catamaran so it causes less seasickness than other types of boats. However, as a precaution, motion sickness medicine should be taken the night before the tour to solve all worries.
Are there shaded areas on the catamaran?
Yes, there is a large shaded area with benches and tables in the hull.
A Local Company
Kai Kanani is a Native Hawaiian family-owned company that has been in operation for more than 30 years. They operate their catamaran tours out of South Maui, and you can hop aboard for a snorkel trip, sunset sail, or whale watching adventure. Kai Kanani supports local farmers and small businesses by shopping locally for the meals and drinks they serve onboard. Their attention to detail, fun and knowledgeable crew and excellent customer experience have earned them more than 1,300 five-star reviews on TripAdvisor.
We are affiliate partners with Kai Kanani which means we receive a small commission for each completed booking made through this site. This is done without any additional cost to you. You can read more about our affiliate policies here. Know that we only recommend tour operators that we know and trust. Your positive experience and your trust in us mean more than any affiliate commission. By booking tours through our website you help us to provide free information and videos to help you and other readers plan their perfect Hawaii vacation. Thank you so much for your support — you are amazing!