Puamana Maui Review: a hidden gem steps from downtown Lahaina
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: A hidden gem that feels like an oasis just steps away from the excitement of downtown Lahaina.
Overview of Puamana
A hidden oasis at the end of Front Street in Lahaina, Pumana offers a welcome retreat, the amenities of well stocked vacation rentals, and easy access to the excitement of downtown Lahaina.
Located just one mile south from the excitement of downtown Lahaina, Puamana offers easy access to all of the restaurants and activities while still being in a quiet, serene setting.
Highlights of Puamana
Puamana has three pools available. None of them are particularly fancy, but they offer exactly what you need. There is one ocean pool, which is their “quiet pool”, meaning no loud kids or adults, no music, and no one talking loudly on their cell phone (hopefully). The other two pools are more kid-friendly and allow for a bit more noise.
Big groups and small groups can both find what they need here. The units vary in size from one bedroom to four bedrooms and from one story to three stories. The units are townhome style, so you will have a neighbor on one or both sides of your unit but you won’t have anyone upstairs or downstairs from you.
All units come with a lanai, perfect for grilling (many come with grills), eating outside, or just enjoying the sound of the birds chirping.
- Clubhouse: Enjoy sunset from the lanai of the oceanfront historic clubhouse. There are plenty of tables and chairs available, so bring down your drinks and some pupus and settle in for a spectacular evening watching the sun go down over the island of lanai. The clubhouse also includes a library, so you can borrow a book to read poolside.
- Gym: Weekly passes are available for purchase for the small gym. While it is small, you can enjoy ocean views from the windows.
- Tennis court and pickleball court: One tennis court and one pickleball court are available and visitors can reserve the court by signing up at the clubhouse.
Why We Love Puamana
In full disclosure, I grew up visiting Puamana regularly and we lived in the complex for three years, so it does hold a near and dear spot in our hearts. But it also feels like a bit of a hidden gem and once you discover it, it’s hard to stay elsewhere. Here’s why we love it:
- Setting: The grounds of the 30-acre gated community feel pretty special. Sprawling lawns, two giant mango trees, and space to roam. You have the ocean on one side, the mountains on the other, and no townhomes higher than three stories. It never feels crowded thanks to all of the space.
- Location: The location of Puamana makes it the best of both worlds. You can easily enjoy the bustle of Front Street in downtown Lahaina or remove yourself and retreat to the quiet relaxation of Puamana. Just a mile from Lahaina Harbor, you are a quick bike ride, car ride, or a slightly longer walk away from the action. Check out all of the things to do in Lahaina! And two of the best Maui luaus are located in Lahaina. Just note: there are no sidewalks that run from Puamana into downtown Lahaina, so you will be walking on the side of the road.
- Ocean-front pool: While the pools aren’t fancy, there’s something about sitting oceanside while taking a dip in a pool. Puamana has a unique pool that was practically built in the ocean. Head here for some excellent afternoon relaxation.
- Clubhouse lanai: The historic clubhouse adds another element to the property. If you don’t want to enjoy your own condo, head down and relax on the clubhouse lanai. Enjoy your morning coffee or sunset happy hour while overlooking the ocean. It can be pretty magical.
Things to Know Before Booking Puamana
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some are great and some are dated and come with fewer helpful amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking. We’ve included a short list of units that we’ve either stayed in or have had friends or family stay in and enjoy. But there are plenty of other great ones that aren’t included on this list.
- Daily fees: It can feel like vacation rentals are full of fees…because they are. Puamana charges a daily fee (approximately, $10 per day) that you will either pay when booking or pay when you check in.
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- Lack of beach: Depending on when you visit, there may or may not be a beach at Puamana. There is beach access, but depending on tides and recent storms, you might just have a beach full of rocks or a beautiful sandy beach. When the beach is there, it’s amazing! It’s quiet and so easy to access. But when there’s no beach, you’ll probably spend more time at the pool.
Who is this best for: This is a great spot for groups as you have some very large condos that can fit a group of people. Or, your group can book a number of units within the complex. We’ve had family reunions here and walking from unit to unit has been easy and fun.
Booked your hotel and now planning the rest of your trip to Maui? We make the trip planning easy with our Maui itineraries. They take you on excursion days around the island so you can see and experience the best on your vacation.
“Just wanted to tell you that we followed your vacation guide almost to the T and had a wonderful time when we went a few months ago in November! Your recommendations were awesome!”Allan D.
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.