Group Surf Lessons near Kailua-Kona
Join the best surf school on Hawaii (and the only native Hawaiian-owned and operated) to get on the waves for the first time or improve your skills. These guys will get you on the waves with a smile on your face. This 3 to 4 person group surf lesson is a great way to get started!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
VIP Exclusive Group Surf Lesson Details
- 2-hour exclusive, private Hawaiian surf school with 2 lifeguard surf coaches
- Located at Kahalu’u Beach Park, 14-minutes south of Kailua-Kona town
- 3 to 4 people per class
- See the Book Online button for details on class size with COVID restrictions
- Perfect class for the whole family to join
- Ages 10 and above
If you are interested in one-on-one instruction in a private lesson, then take a look at their private surf lesson class here.
VIP Group Surf Lesson
The best surf school on the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) is 15-minutes south of Kailua-Kona. Book this tour before you come to ensure you get a spot and the day you want.
An exclusive group of 3 to 4 surfers. Learn to surf in an Exclusive VIP class with 2 private lifeguards at Kahalu’u Beach Park with 3 to 4 surfers, that’s a 2:1 student to lifeguard ratio! So good! Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors are Trained and Certified by the American Red Cross.
Student transportation from the check-In location to the surfing location is NOT provided by HLSI. It is a short walk to the beach.
FAQ: VIP Exclusive Group Surf Lesson
Group Surf Lesson Includes the Following
- Exclusive Class
- 2 Private Lifeguard Surf Coaches
- 10-minute classroom surf school at Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors Headquarters
- Up to 2 hours surf school water time at Kahalu’u Bay
- If you are a return surfer then you can opt to bypass the classroom time
- Surfboard and leash provided
- Rash Guard/Water Shirt and Water Shoes available
- Car Keys Can Be Stored By Instructor For Safe Keeping At Beach Park
What to Bring for Your Surf Lesson
- Sunscreen- reef safe only (mineral-based is recommended)
- Swim Clothes (please arrive dressed in swim attire by check-in time)
- Swim Shirt – free rental available
- Water Shoes- free rental available
Surf Lesson Restrictions and Special Instructions
- Minimum 3 – Max 4 persons per class time
- Ages 10+
- Students must be able to swim and participate in physical activity.
- A Parent/Guardian must remain on location to accompany their minor children.
- Maximum weight limit 265 lbs. Students over weight restriction must select: PRIVATE SURF for equipment upgrade and 1:1 coaching
An ideal surf viewing area is available at Kahalu’u Beach Park for spectators to enjoy. Kahalu’u is also ideal for swimming, picnicking, and snorkeling.
Safety & Health Disclosure: All Students must be able to swim, follow basic English instruction and participate in strenuous physical activity. Please disclose any major past injuries/ surgeries or medical illnesses. Parents/Guardians who are not surfing must remain on location to accompany their minor children. Those persons with any ailments are advised to please select a private surfing course so that our Lifeguards are able to best serve your special needs.
Student(s) Transportation from Check-In Location to Surfing Location is NOT provided by HLSI.
What happens if there is bad weather or bad waves?
HLSI monitors the weather and water daily. If your lesson is scheduled on a rough day or stormy weather occurs then you will be contacted by a lifeguard to reschedule. If the waves are very small, then HLSI will provide students with Stand Up Paddleboards to catch as many waves as possible and still enjoy the water!
If lessons are canceled by HLSI and you are unable to reschedule there is no charge to you.
About Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors
Erica and I enjoy taking surf lessons with the team at HLSI. They are not only the best-reviewed surf school on the island but they are also a local, family-owned business that we love to support. I’ll let the guys you about themselves below.
Aloha, join our Ohana (family) of professional surf instructors.
Surfing is the ancient tradition of the Native Hawaiians and the feeling of riding an ocean wave lasts a lifetime. Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors (HLSI) is committed to perpetuating the heritage of surfing and the Hawaiian culture with aloha and a safety-first attitude.
As Hawaiian Watermen, we live, work, and play amidst the ocean sports environment. HLSI lessons and educational activities were born through our passion for the sport and experience in ocean safety. We promote Hawaiian culture, surfing, paddling, swimming, kayaking, ocean awareness, and above all, a safety-first positive aloha attitude.
On that foundation (awareness in water safety), HLSI promotes the skills necessary to learn and progress in the sport of surfing or paddling. Your instructor will have a minimum of 15 years of experience surfing and holds a current professional certification with the American Red Cross in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and Ocean Water Rescue©.
We are affiliate partners with Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors s which means we receive a small commission for each completed booking made through this site. This is done without any additional cost to you. You can read more about our affiliate policies here. Know that we only recommend tour operators that we know and trust. Your positive experience and your trust in us mean more than any affiliate commission. By booking tours through our website you help us to provide free information and videos to help you and other readers plan their perfect Hawaii vacation. Thank you so much for your support — you are amazing!