Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Stay on one of the best snorkeling spots on the island and enjoy the laid back vibe and ocean views you get from every unit on the property.
Overview of Honokeana Cove
Turtles galore! This hidden, laid back, small condo community is exactly what we love about northwest Maui. The vibe here is right and you may never want to leave this little haven. With low rise two story buildings, condos from 1 to 3 bedrooms, snorkeling right outside your front door, and all oceanfront lanais, book early to get a spot in one of these 38 units.
Honokeana Cove Location
Located just south of Napili Bay, Honokeana Cove is located on northwest Maui. Here, you’re approximately a 15-20 minute drive to downtown Lahaina and a 50 minute drive to the Kahului airport.
There are plenty of things to do on this side of the island! Check out some of our favorite things to do on West Maui.
Highlights of Honokeana Cove
There is one pool at Honokeana Cove (heated!). The pool isn’t huge, but it’s all that you need. It’s located overlooking the bay with plenty of chairs and room to spread out. There are also grills in the pool area, making it a great place to hang out and enjoy the view.
There are 38 units in this small condo community. You’ll find four two story buildings that have varying unit sizes, from 1 bedroom to 3 bedroom. Each unit has an oceanview, which is pretty spectacular.
Units are outfitted with varying essentials. You can usually find well stocked kitchens, beach gear, and grilling utensils, but check each individual listing for the details.
There are some key amenities that make a stay at Honokeana Cove comfortable and relaxing:
- Grills: skip going out for dinner and grill at one of the on-site grills that overlook the bay
- Laundry: one of the reasons we love staying at vacation rentals is for laundry access!
- Cove access: head straight from your condo into the cove for easy, but amazing snorkeling
- Oceanfront lanais: all of the units have oceanfront lanais so you don’t have to leave the comfort of your space to get a view of the ocean.
- Free parking: while there are plenty of fees that go along with accommodations in Hawaii, there are no parking fees here, which feels like a big win.
Why We Love Honokeana Cove
- The size: While some condo communities are large and feel like a full resort (looking at you, Honua Kai), there is something so charming about a quiet condo complex. With just 38 units, this place feels more like home. It’s quieter and lowkey, plus you have a short walk from your car to your unit, which can be a big deal when you’re carrying beach bags or tired kids.
- Honokeana bay: This small, rocky bay is picture perfect. You can sit out and watch countless turtles swimming in the bay or resting on the rocks. I’m not exaggerating when I say we’ve seen more than a dozen during a single snorkeling session here. It’s easy to just head out your door and go snorkeling in the bay, grill by the pool with a view of the bay, or just enjoy sitting out and admiring the beauty of Maui.
- The location: Not only is the complex located on a beautiful, quiet cove, it’s also located near Napili Bay is one of the best beaches on Maui. You can walk between the two spots in under 5 minutes (though there is unfortunately no sidewalk so it can feel a bit dicey).
Things to Know Before Booking Honokeana Cove
- Oceanfront, not beachfront: if you are dreaming of walking from your condo onto a sandy beach, this is not the place for you. While you are just a short walk away from sandy Napili Bay, Honokeana cove is rocky. You won’t be building sand castles here.
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some are great and some are dated and come with fewer helpful amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking — there are great ones that will meet almost any need.
- Rain makes rainbows: Northwest Maui gets a little more rain than Ka’anapali and south Maui. While this will rarely ruin a beach day, there are occasional passing showers. But that also lends itself to the beauty of the area: it feels a little more lush and tropical and you can see some amazing rainbows.
Ready to head to Maui? We can make it easy to finish your planning with our itineraries. These island itineraries take you on excursion days seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants. All on a planned out route so there is no backtracking.
I bought your Maui Guide and that was the best investment I’ve made for a vacation. I just bought tickets for Kauai for February and I will be buying your guide again. Thank you so much for your comprehensive guide and for thinking of families with small children. I appreciate you!Gabby B. (Youtube comment)
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.