Kapalua Bay Villas: a northwest Maui escape
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Idyllic, verdant, and oceanside, Kapalua Bay Villas offers a quiet, peaceful stay with easy access to Kapalua’s famous beaches and resort amenities.
Overview of Kapalua Bay Villas
If you don’t want the resort experience, but don’t want to be far from resort comforts, Kapalua Bay Villas may be just the ticket. The Ritz and Montage resorts (and all their amenities) sit on either side of this beachfront area. And other neighboring attractions – golf courses, shops, restaurants, award-winning beaches – are just a free shuttle ride away.
Within the Bay Villas gate’s you’ll find 27 buildings of vacation rentals, three pools, and two tennis courts, arranged into an idyllic, intimate neighborhood with stunning views and immaculate landscaping. Kapalua Coast Trail runs between the Bay Villas and the shore, offering easy access to some of the best beaches on Maui, and the resorts that line them. If you plan to see more of the island during your stay, parking is easy and accessible for any excursions beyond the larger Kapalua Resort area.
Kapalua Bay Villas Key Facts
Kapalua Bay Villas Location
The Kapalua Villas is one of the three main resorts that comprise the larger Kapalua Resort area, situated 20 minutes north of Lahaina. Adjacent to the Kapalua Resort area is a string of pristine (and a couple of famous) beaches. Inside is two golf courses, dozens of boutique shops and restaurants, and top-notch hiking.
The Kapalua Villas resort itself includes three distinct properties – Kapalua Golf Villas, Ridge at Kapalua, Kapalua Bay Villas. The Bay Villas are those nearest the shoreline, with direct access to the Kapalua Coast Trail. This easy walking path leads you past the stunning bays, beaches, and outcrops of the Kapalua coast, and alongside many of its resorts and restaurants.
Kapalua Bay Villas Pool
There are three swimming pools that are lovely and well-equipped (lounge chairs, covered seating, gas BBQs, a shower, and a bathroom), though smaller in size than we expected.
Kapalua Bay Villas include one- and two-bedrooms condos. Most accommodate four to six guests, though a handful can accommodate up to eight. The units are spacious, clean and comfortable. Most have been recently updated.
Kapalua Bay Villas Review: why we love it
- Kapalua Bay Villas is gorgeous! Updated, well-manicured, with a clear view of the ocean from most locations – it is a perfect place for a respite.
- It is a part of the larger Kapalua Bay resort area! Golf courses, spas, restaurants, and shops abound from the many nearby resorts, so you can feel at peace without feeling marooned.
- The Kapalua Coast Trail borders the Kapalua Bay Villas, and can take you to the nearby beaches, spectacular lookouts, and other hidden gems (e.g. a rock labyrinth).
- Parking is complimentary and convenient, making a quick trip to the grocery store an easy effort, and a greater adventure more doable.
- A free shared shuttle will take you between any two points in the resort, including hotels, residences, golf courses, and beaches. The shuttle is an on-call service that operates daily from 7am to 10:45pm.
- All kitchens are fully-equipped, and most units have an in-house washer and dryer.
Things to Know Before Booking Kapalua Bay Villas
- When comparing listed amenities, remember that Kapalua Bay Villas is a part of The Kapalua Villas, which is located in the larger Kapalua resort area. Many amenities not specific to a unit’s interior are also offered at nearby condos (think, golf courses. And just because an amenity is offered, does not mean it is nearby. (Though the shuttle can help with that!)
- Although the Kapalua Bay Villas’ 16-acres is oceanfront, your condo may not be. Check to see in which of the 27 buildings your unit is located to make an informed decision about which condo to book.
- Oceanfront is not beachfront. You can expect a great ocean view from most units, but for a sandy beach you will have to take a short walk down the Kapalua Coast Trail to neighboring Oneloa Bay.
- The three pools within Kapalua Bay Villas are on the smaller side.
- There is no fitness center, but you can use the Ritz Carlton’s facilities for $25/day or the Sports Club Kahana in the Valley Isle Resort for $19/day.
- The shared shuttle will only take you to destinations within the Kapalua resort area. Trips to the airport, or beyond the area will require additional arrangements.
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some have excellent views and others come with a less impressive view or fewer helpful in-unit amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking.
You Can Also Book Kapalua Bay Villas with Marriott!
Some of the units are listed by Marriott Homes & Villas. While you can’t read reviews, there is a level of trust when booking through a Marriott brand. And you can earn and book using Marriott Bonvoy points! The units they have available are:
We Have the Rest of Your Trip Covered
There’s a lot to plan for a trip to Maui. We help take care of the rest of your trip with our done for you itineraries. Full of excursion days to take you to the best spots around the island, you can relax knowing that we have you covered.
“Thanks for your updates, and more importantly thank you so much for the itinerary guides you guys have. We just got back from our 10 day stay in maui and literally used your Maui guide to its fullest. Couldn’t have it done it without your Maui Guide.”Richard W.
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.