Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Makena Surf’s tropical ten-acres and luxury condos offer the seclusion, quiet, and beauty of an all-inclusive beach resort, with the cost-saving practicality of a vacation rental.
Overview of Makena Surf
Makena Surf offers comfort, peace, and privacy through its luxury units, beautiful grounds, and secluded location – all just a few miles south of Wailea’s bustle. Each unit in this private community features fantastic ocean views, which are easy to take in through the large sliding glass doors, or on the spacious private lanai. The grounds themselves border a stretch of shore that includes a small cove, a beautiful outcrop of volcanic rock, and a large sandy beach. Two pools and four tennis courts can be found among the grounds, and a golf course is located just up the road. You are not going to find much else beyond the Makena Surf’s (beautiful and well-manicured) ten-acres, though. Expect to bring a car for any shopping, dining, or offsite adventures.
Like most rentals, you’ll have to forego some resort amenities – there is no fitness center or food service.
Makena Surf Key Facts
Makena Surf Location
This beachside condo resort is one of the few rental properties in Makena, a small neighborhood just south of the big resorts and busy beaches of Wailea. The ten-acre grounds border a small cove, a beautiful rocky outcrop, and a large sandy beach. Makena Surf is secluded, peaceful, and quiet, but quite a trek to any offsite activities without a car.
Makena Surf Pool
There are two good sized pools, each with a hot tub and ample seating. Although the grounds are sprawling, the pools are convenient and accessible. Both are surrounded by thick tropical foliage for added privacy from the nearby condos and tennis courts.
There are 12 different floor plans in the community, including one, two, and three bedroom units, so there is quite a range. Though you can expect all condos to be air-conditioned, have fully-equipped kitchens, and feature private covered lanais with ocean views.
Makena Surf Review: why we love it
- Each unit features a fantastic ocean view and spacious private lanai.
- The lush ten-acre grounds are well-manicured and border a small cove, beautiful rock outcrop, and a large sandy beach.
- There are four tennis courts on the grounds, and the Emerald Golf Course is less than a mile up the road.
- Most units have an in-room washer and dryer.
Things to Know Before Booking Makena Surf
- Parking is free, and you should take advantage! The secluded location makes offsite excursions difficult without one.
- Take a good look at the listing photos before you book. Although this is a community of luxury condos, some units are in need of an upgrade and may not look it.
- There is no fitness center or food service.
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some have excellent views and others come with a less impressive view or fewer helpful in-unit amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking.
We Have the Rest of Your Trip Covered
There’s a lot to plan for a trip to Maui. We help take care of the rest of your trip with our done for you itineraries. Full of excursion days to take you to the best spots around the island, you can relax knowing that we have you covered.
“Thanks for your updates, and more importantly thank you so much for the itinerary guides you guys have. We just got back from our 10 day stay in maui and literally used your Maui guide to its fullest. Couldn’t have it done it without your Maui Guide.”Richard W.
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.