Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Waipouli Beach Resort finds a happy medium between beach resort and vacation rental. And that medium has a great pool.
Overview of Waipouli Beach Resort
This beachside resort of vacation rentals is easy to get to and easy to adventure from – though pool lovers might find it hard to leave. The two-acre complex is a standout with features including two waterslides, a waterfall, a sandy children’s “beach”, and a poolside restaurant and bar. An ocean beach that is great for lounging (and so-so for swimming) is just beyond the pool, along with a lovely walking path. Some units can range quite a bit in quality (so read individual condo reviews carefully!), though each includes central air, an in-condo washer-and-dryer, and a fully-equipped kitchenette.
The resort grounds are beautiful, and the in-town location offers many conveniences – including a shopping center directly across the street! The resort’s more commercial locale, however, can detract from its charm.
Waipouli Beach Resort Key Facts
Waipouli Beach Resort Location
Waipouli Beach Resort is located on the east coast of Kauai, between Kapa’a and Wailua, an easy 15-min drive north from Lihue Airport, assuming no traffic. The proximity to North Shore (30-min to Kilauea, 35-min to Princeville, 40-min to Hanalei) is an added convenience for potential day trips.
Waipouli Beach Resort Pool
For a vacation rental facility, they certainly bring the ‘wow’ factor. The two-acre pool and garden complex is equipped with a sand bottom hot tub, a children’s beach, two water slides, and waterfalls you can swim under. Although they also claim a “lazy river,” it strikes us as a bit of false advertising. There is no current, inflatables are prohibited, and the “river” abruptly dead ends. Lovely for there-and-back wading, though.
The one and two-bedroom suites feature one, two or three full baths, and a fully-equipped kitchenette.
Waipouli Beach Resort: why we love it
- The pool complex is spectacular, especially for a vacation rental property, and includes a hot tub, two waterslides, a waterfall, a sandy beach, and a wading river.
- For a convenient bite to eat, The Oasis Bar and Restaurant is located poolside, open 3pm to 9pm.
- The grounds are beautiful. The acres of greenery (including tropical gardens, well-manicured lawns, and a Koi Pond) lead directly to a lovely walking path, and the sandy beach just beyond the property.
- Fuji Beach, a baby beach with a shallow pool protected by a rock sea wall, is just a half-mile south of the one located directly in front of the resort.
- A shopping center is located directly across Kuhio Hwy and includes a Safeway, Starbucks, and Ross. The in-suite kitchenette and easy access to groceries can make meals more manageable, and the Ross is a great resource for picking up last minute or forgotten items without breaking the bank.
- Parking is easy and accessible (and we do recommend renting a car here).
- A fitness center is on-site with weights and basic exercise equipment.
- The resort spa offers massages, facials, and various other treatments.
- Front desk staff and an activities concierge are available for assistance.
Things to Know Before Booking Waipouli Beach Resort
- “Garden View” means “view of the parking lot.”
- Speaking of parking lot, we strongly suggest you rent a car for your stay.
- Although they advertise a “lazy river,” there is no current and the river dead ends… It’s more a river shape you can lazily wade down-and-back in.
- Some guests have encountered problems with cleanliness inside their rental. Read the individual reviews for the unit, and take a careful look around after arrival before settling in.
- Traffic can be terrible on the Kuhio Highway, especially to Lihue, so budget extra time for drives to the airport or other time-sensitive destinations.
- The beach sand is lovely but becomes rocky upon entering the water. The water is protected by a reef, however conditions can be generally unsafe during certain seasons. Be vigilant about checking before you wade in.
- The front desk hours are limited to 9am until 7pm. Ensure any issues/needs are relayed to the desk staff before then.
- Many platforms charge an exorbitant Departure Cleaning Fee (in addition to a daily fee) at this property upon arrival or departure. We especially recommend using VRBO to book any stay here – some of these surprise charges aren’t listed in the fine print and can be up to $380!
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some have excellent views and others come with a less impressive view or fewer helpful in-unit amenities (especially kitchen items). Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking.
Some of the units are listed by Marriott Homes & Villas. While you can’t read reviews, there is a level of trust when booking through a Marriott brand. And you can earn and book using Marriott Bonvoy points!
Let Us Help With the Rest of Your Trip
There’s a lot to plan for a trip to Kauai. We help take care of the rest of your trip with our done for you itineraries. Full of excursion days to take you to the best spots around the island, you can relax knowing that we have you covered.
I purchased the Kauai itinerary and it is awesome! I had no idea how much work and information you guys really put into it and I am so excited for our trip now!!Kayla R. (Youtube comment)
Get The Kauai Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Kauai.