Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
Umauma Waterfall Rappel and River Tour Highlights
- Duration: about 3.5-hours
- Rappel 250 feet into the Umauma river valley
- Free rappel the last 20 feet over a cave right into the Umauma River
- Rappel down two waterfalls
- End with a jump (optional) at a private pond
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Weight limits are: 80 lbs to 250 lbs
- The minimum age requirement is 8
Click the Book Online button to find a time that works best for your group! Book early to get a time that fits with your itinerary. This tour is a perfect addition to a day in Hilo or on the way to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
On our trip down the Hamakua Coast, we stopped for some zipping at Umauma Falls. Erica and Henry did the Garden and Waterfall tour as I conquered the 9-line zipline course. If your whole family can’t do the rappel, they can explore the grounds or hangout at the gift shop and cafe.
Umauma Waterfall Rappel and River Tour Details
Make memories that will last a lifetime as you experience the coolest adventure in Hawaii. Start your rappel experience by rappelling 250 feet into the Umauma valley. The last 20 feet is a cave, so you will free rappel right into the Umauma River. But don’t worry, you will be fully equipped with a wetsuit, tobbies, and all the necessary top-of-the-line rappelling safety gear. Once you enter the river, you will relax as you float down the Umauma river to a 100-year-old flume dam.
This dam was made in 1910 and is still perfectly intact today. Its level surface makes for an infinity pool-like experience in the river! Next, you will boulder down a short distance to a natural stone slide formation where you will slide right into a large pool.
On this tour, you will rappel down two waterfalls and even end with an optional jump at their private pond.
Click for directions to The Umauma Experience Zipline Tour,
The Umauma Experience at Umauma Falls is located 20-minutes (14.5-miles) north of Hilo, on the east coast of Hawaii. From Kailua-Kona, it is a little less than 2-hours. If you are staying in Hilo or doing a driving tour from Kailua-Kona down the Hamakua Coast as we did in this video, then stop at Umauma Falls for a couple of hours of adventure.
Waterfall Rappel Requirements and Restrictions
- Requires a minimum of 4 people to commence tour. Check-in 45 minutes prior to your tour time. Restrictions apply.
- 24-hour cancellation policy: Bookings canceled less than 24 hours before tour time will be charged in full.
- Please wear swim clothes you can wear under a wetsuit. As well as a towel and a change of clothes for after the tour. Please do not use sunscreen or mosquito repellent as it won’t be necessary since you will be wearing a full-body wetsuit.
- The minimum age requirement is 8.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Weight limits are: 80 lbs to 250 lbs
- No persons with neck or back injuries or women who are pregnant. Not recommended for people with heart problems.
- Safety First! Umauma reserves the right to refuse a person’s participation on tour if it is determined that the individual is not fit for the experience. Umauma will issue a refund in this situation minus a 25% cancellation fee.
FAQs: Umauma Waterfall Rappel and River Experience
What is the cancellation policy
24-hour cancellation policy: Bookings canceled less than 24 hours before tour time will be charged in full.
What to bring on the Waterfall Rappel Tour?
Please wear swim clothes you can wear under a wetsuit. As well as a towel and a change of clothes for after the tour. Please do not use sunscreen or mosquito repellent as it won’t be necessary since you will be wearing a full-body wetsuit.
What if people in my party don’t want to rappel?
For those who are too young or not interested in rappeling, they can partake in a self-guided tour of the Umauma Falls and Garden for $12 plus taxes and fees.
Does Umauma provide transportation? (From Hilo or Kona)
Unfortunately, not at this time.
Will there be other outdoor activities besides waterfall rappel and swimming?
Yes, they offer ATV tours, Umauma Falls & Garden Tour, zipling, and a zip and dip tour. Make a full day out of it. Check out their other tours here:
About The Umauma Experience Team
For me, the guides leading our zipline adventure made the trip even better. Their instruction, stories along the way, smooth operation of the course, and friendly faces had everyone laughing and enjoying the zipline. It was pouring rain for some of the trip but no one seemed to mind.
Let the team at Umauma Experience tell you about themselves here and why you should go with them on this epic adventure.
A memorable adventure is only as good as the guide leading your way. At the Umauma Experience, we know Hawaii is so much more than a beautiful place to get away from it all. You’re here for a once-in-a-lifetime experience and know memories are made here. Our hope is to enhance your time on our island with guides who bring a unique and fun perspective beyond the usual experience.
The Umauma Experience guides love adventure. They have deep knowledge of the landscape and a passion for the history and cultural heritage of Hawaii. Hawaii is more than just a destination; it’s a way of life for those of us who live here. Our guides live and breathe the outdoor life and will take that love of the great Hawaiian outdoors and share it with you no matter what adventure you choose. We want to show you what makes Hawaii and Umauma Falls unique, sharing local history and our experiences here, and give you a hands-on experience you’ll never forget.
We are affiliate partners with The Umauma Experience, Hawaii Zipline and ATV Tours, which means we receive a small commission for each completed booking made through this site. This is done without any additional cost to you. You can read more about our affiliate policies here. Know that we only recommend tour operators that we know and trust. Your positive experience and your trust in us mean more than any affiliate commission. By booking tours through our website you help us to provide free information and videos to help you and other readers plan their perfect Hawaii vacation. Thank you so much for your support — you are amazing!