Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: All the luxury amenities you would expect from a 5-star hotel with great options for kids.
Overview of the Four Seasons Hualalai
If you’re looking for luxury accommodations that also keep your kids busy the whole time, look no further. While the Four Seasons Hualalai is 25 minutes from downtown Kailua-Kona, there are enough on-site activities to keep you entertained so there is no need to make the trip each day. Among these are basketball, tennis, snorkeling, golf, an arcade, a library, and a full-service spa, not to mention multiple pools and a saltwater snorkeling pond. As if that wasn’t enough to love, this Four Seasons offers babysitting (for a charge), parking is free, and pets under 15 pounds are allowed and stay for free as well.
While there is a lot for kids to do and the resort boasts that it is family friendly, there is a significant caveat: room capacities. All of their rooms and suites cap at 2 children and a total of 3 people. So families of 4+ must choose a villa, which cannot be booked online.
The Four Seasons Hualalai Key Facts
The Four Seasons Hualalai Location:
This Four Seasons is located 8 miles north of the Kona International Airport and 15 miles from downtown Kailua-Kona.
The Four Seasons Hualalai Pool:
There are 8 outdoor pools on the property including infinity, kid’s, lap, and adults-only pools. Some villas even have a private hot-tub and/or pool. They also have King’s Pond, a saltwater snorkeling pond with plenty of marine life and a great option for kids and adults alike!
The Four Seasons Hualalai Review: why we love it
- Kids’ accommodations: With a game room, basketball, tennis courts, a kid’s pool, babysitting services, and even a library, kids are covered here. They will never get bored, and parents can even take some time away for themselves.
- King’s Pond: This resort is unique because it has a manmade saltwater marine life pond, which allows guests a controlled environment to interact with sea life. This is a great spot to try out snorkeling and it’s amazing for kids!
- Pet friendly & free: We have traveled with our little dog, Hattie, and found that pet friendly accommodations on the islands are few and far between. While service animals are always allowed, it is uncommon to find a resort that allows pets, especially without a fee! There is a weight limit of 15 pounds, so small pets only.
- Accessibility: This property was definitely designed with accessibility in mind. Their common areas like the business center, ballroom, meeting room, and exercise facility are accessible. Additionally their accessible rooms have wide doors, wheelchair, and hearing accessible features.
- No resort or parking fees: Unlike many accommodations in Hawaii, this Four Seasons does not charge a daily resort or parking fee on top of the nightly rate. Self parking is free for guests or you can choose to use their valet service for $30 per night (March 2023).
Things to Know Before Booking The Four Seasons Hualalai
- For families of 4+ it’s more complicated: While this Four Seasons boasts that it is family friendly, the majority of their accommodations cap at 3 guests, including up to 2 children. Even their 3,740 square foot Ho’onanea Villa has a maximum of 6 guests, including up to 2 children. So this will be the first option available for parents traveling together with 2 kids, but if you have more than 2 children your only options will be the Hawaii Loa Presidential or Makaloa Villa. None of the Villas can be booked online.
- Far from Kona: If you don’t plan on spending all your time within the resort (although you certainly can), it is a bit far from downtown Kailua-Kona. It is a 15 mile, 25 minute drive, which is certainly not a dealbreaker for most, but you will need a car.
Want to check out other options on the Big Island? Read our reviews:
The Best Big Island Itinerary
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Big Island itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
We are going to Oahu, Maui, and Big Island over the course of 21 days, so I have loved your itineraries–seriously they are a must-have lifeline for planning a trip to Hawaii! I’m thankful for the opportunity to give a little back to your family through the itineraries and tour suggestions.Kim S.
Get The Big Island Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Hawai’i (Big Island).