Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: A not too close to Kona experience with great views and a good location.
Overview of the Outrigger Kona Resort & Spa
The Outrigger Kona Resort & Spa boasts phenomenal views and a great location for seeing Manta Rays and going on tours. Their pool is very group and family friendly as they have a kid friendly pool with an incredible water slide as well as an adult only (21+) pool that is open 24/7. It is pricy for what you’re getting as there are some much needed updates to rooms and the hotel itself.
The Outrigger Kona Key Facts
The Outrigger Kona Location:
The Outrigger Kona is situated 15mi from Kona International Airport, 6mi from Captain Cook Monument, less than a mile from golfing, and just a few minutes’ walk from one of our favorite Manta Ray snorkeling tours. While it is not sitting on a beach, more a rocky coastline, it is oceanfront, making for some gorgeous views. It’s also just far enough from downtown Kona to be just away from the crowds, but close enough to easily get to anything you need within about 15-20 minutes.
The Outrigger Kona Pool:
There are multiple pools on the property, including an adult only (21+) pool that is open 24/7. Among their other pools they have a 200 foot waterslide making it equally appropriate and fun for kids.
The Outrigger Kona Review: why we love it
- Family friendly: The pool with the giant water slide is a huge bonus for families, and the 21+ pool makes for a great escape for members of your party without kids.
- Location: If you’re looking to be a bit removed from downtown Kona and you’re in it for the views this location is hard to beat. Manta Ray viewing is offered by the resort, and you’re walking distance from one of our favorite Manta Ray snorkeling tours.
Things to Know Before Booking The Outrigger Kona
- Not all amenities are walkable: Only 1 or 2 of the resort’s restaurants are open (Feb 2023) so the closest dining and shopping are going to be a 10-20 minute drive away.
- Hotel is older: The Outrigger Kona was built in the 70’s and it shows. Guests notice that the building is old, walls are thin, and the rooms are a bit dated.
- Resort and parking fees: Unfortunately, high resort and parking fees are par for the course in Hawaii. Like many resorts, the Outrigger Kona charges both a daily resort fee and a daily parking fee, which is not included in the room rate. This can be sticker shock if you’re not expecting it.
Want to check out other options on the Big Island? Read our reviews:
The Best Big Island Itinerary
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Big Island itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
I just returned from my Hawaii vacation and I wanted to let you know that your Big Island wayfinder/ guide was amazing! My husband and I throughly enjoyed all of the excursions we did based on your guide. We plan on returning to visit Maui and Kauai and will purchase those as well.Maria E.
Get The Big Island Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Hawai’i (Big Island).