Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Skip the Waikoloa resorts and head to this gorgeous vacation rental, walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and more!
Overview of Waikoloa Beach Villas
Welcome to the gated resort community of the Waikoloa Beach Villas. Set in the sprawling resort of Waikoloa, you’ll find restaurants, a nice beach, hotels, and a golf course. The Waikoloa Beach Villas are in a prime location, 15 minutes walking distance to the beach, less than a 5 minute walk to plenty of restaurants.
The 2 and 3 bedroom rentals are set on 20 beautifully landscaped acres, so you feel on vacation the second you step on the property. This is our favorite pick in Waikoloa and if you visit, you’ll definitely see why.
Waikoloa Beach Villas Location
Waikoloa is a planned resort community located on the Kohala Coast, 30 minutes north of the Kailua-Kona airport. This region is popular with visitors for having the best beaches on the island as well as excellent whale watching in the winter.
Highlights of the Waikoloa Beach Villas
Pools + More
If you want to enjoy some time at the pool, you’re in luck. Waikoloa Beach Villas has two well landscaped pools and two hot tubs.
You’ll also have access to a fitness center and a shared BBQ area, though many units also come with their own grills.
The units at the Waikoloa Beach Villas offer you the opportunity to stretch out in style. You can choose from 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom or 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom units, which all have a living area, dining area, kitchen, and lanai. A two bedroom unit will give you approximately 1,200 square feet of living space.
Each unit also comes with its own garage, plus you’ll have some great golf course views (views vary by unit). And each of these units is set in the meticulously landscaped grounds.
Many units come stocked with an assortment of beach gear including towels, chairs, and toys. Some may also come with snorkeling gear. Check the individual unit descriptions and reviews for more details on what each owner provides.
While there are no restaurants within the Waikoloa Beach Villas there are plenty of food options within a short walk. Across the street from the Villas you have Queens Marketplace, with casual options like Waikoloa Pizza and Starbucks. There’s also a grocery option with Island Gourmet Markets.
If you want to walk 5-10 minutes, you’ll find Kings’ Shops, where you have even more restaurants, including Foster’s Kitchen, Roy’s, and Island Vintage Coffee.
While there are no on-site activities, there are plenty of things to enjoy just a short drive away. Some of our favorite activities near Waikoloa include:
- Kohala Zip & Dip zipline experience
- Kohala waterfall swim and hike
- Small group raft whale watching (seasonal)
Waikoloa Beach Villas Review: why we love it
- 15 minute walk to ‘Anaeho’omalu Bay (A-Bay): To be 100% honest, this is not the most beautiful beach on the Big Island. Not even close (see our list of awesome beaches here). But this is a great beach because it’s often the most protected beach on the Kohala Coast from big waves and swells. Which means that even when the other beaches are a bit too rough to comfortably swim, A-Bay will still provide a pretty great beach day. Of course you’ll want to make sure you’re following all ocean safety rules, as the Pacific is rough.
- Good value: This definitely isn’t a budget resort, but for what you get, I think this is a great value. Depending on the time of year, you can expect to pay anything from $350 per night and up for a two bedroom unit. We’ve checked prices here against what the Marriott Waikoloa charges for a room and a two bedroom unit was consistently 30% less expensive than the hotel.
- Well maintained: This is a beautiful resort. While you’re not in a hotel, you still have beautiful grounds and units that don’t look tired. The villas were built in 2006 and everything about it still looks and feels fresh.
Things to Know Before Booking the Waikoloa Beach Villas
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: all of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some have excellent views and others come with a less impressive view or fewer helpful in-unit amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking.
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Big Island Itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
We purchased your itineraries for Maui, The big island and Kauai back in March and just returned from our trip to Hawaii where we spent 3 weeks. Your itineraries were magical; I read them so many times to plan the trip, watched almost all your videos to take it all in. Most of the time we followed your daily itineraries to the letter. We loved the google direction links, made things so easy. All I can tell you, you are doing it right and authentic and your tips about the weather, places to eat and much more were dead-on.”Munzer and Liza
Get The Big Island Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Hawai’i (Big Island).