Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: Affordable, family friendly vacation rentals right in Waikoloa.
Overview of the Shores at Waikoloa
The Shores at Waikoloa offers spacious 1- and 2-bedroom units with big lanais and all the comforts of home like air conditioning and in-unit laundry. You’ll be close to golfing, several fun activities, and the beach. Pick a unit with a view and wake up to Mauna Kea as the backdrop for your morning coffee on your lanai. The Shores at Waikoloa is a great place for families and for saving a bit on lodging so you can spend more on great activities.
The Shores at Waikoloa Key Facts
The Shores at Waikoloa Location:
These vacation rentals sit right in the heart of the Waikoloa resort area on the Kohala Coast. You’ll be 15 minutes from Hapuna Beach – the best beach on the Big Island, about 30 minutes from Kona International Airport and an hour and 20 minutes from Hilo.
The Shores at Waikoloa Pool:
This property has a children’s pool as well as an all ages pool plus a very spacious jacuzzi.
The Shores at Waikoloa Unit Sizes:
The Shores at Waikoloa is made up of 1- and 2-bedroom units with 1 or 2 bathrooms respectively. All units are equipped with A/C, in unit laundry, and very spacious lanais.
The Shores at Waikoloa Review: why we love it
- Affordable: The Shores at Waikoloa made it onto our list of the best affordable family resorts in Hawaii. This is a great find because accommodations in Hawaii are notoriously expensive.
- Family friendly: In case you didn’t pick up on this in the last point, this is a great place for families! Aside from the functionality that comes with a vacation rental, there are tennis courts, two pools – including a children’s pool, and a jacuzzi, giving you a little more to do than many vacation rental properties.
- Nearby activities: If you tire of tennis and pool time, you can always check out Waikoloa Petroglyph Reserve, the Anchialine Pond Preservation Area, and Buddha Point. Plus this stargazing tour and this hike and waterfall swim pick up from the Queen’s Marketplace, just 1 mile away from the property!
- Views: As always, be sure to confirm the view that your individual unit has, but some come with spectacular Mauna Kea views.
Things to Know Before Booking The Shores at Waikoloa
- Accessibility: Few units are explicitly wheelchair friendly, but some buildings do have elevators while others do not, so read descriptions carefully to ensure your unit will fit your needs.
- No direct beach access: The closest beach is a short drive away, so you won’t be stepping from your room into the sand here.
- Rental fees: All accommodations in Hawaii can come with some (rather large) fees. Whether you’re in a hotel paying resort fees or you’re getting a vacation rental and paying service fees, factor these into your equation. We usually go with VRBO because we’ve found that these fees are usually lower than what you’ll find on other similar platforms.
- No unit consistency: All of these vacation rentals are individually owned, so there’s a lack of consistency. Some have excellent views and others come with a less impressive view or fewer helpful in-unit amenities. Reading reviews of individual units can always give you a better sense of what to expect before booking.
- Dated units: A lot of these units are very dated, but some of the prices reflect this. Hawaii is an expensive place to stay, so these condos offer a good value if you don’t really care that much about having newer accommodations. Again, check individual unit reviews to make sure you’re getting something you feel comfortable with.
Want to check out other options on the Big Island? Read our reviews:
Mauna Lani, an Auberge Resort: our best trip yet?
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai: wait until you see the lagoon!
Westin Hapuna Beach: wake up on the best beach on the Big Island
The Best Big Island Itinerary
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Big Island itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
So excited. We have been loving your itinerary!!! We would have paid triple the price for this. It’s so valuable!Sara C.
Get The Big Island Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Hawai’i (Big Island).