Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: An abundance of activities to keep you as busy (or not as busy) as you want to be on your vacation.
Overview of Marriott’s Wailea Beach Resort:
There are a number of excellent hotels on Maui, especially in Wailea. And while the competition is stiff, the Wailea Beach Resort really shines. From the spread out grounds, the fun adventure pool, the central location, and the numerous activities on site, The Wailea Beach Resort is a great backdrop for a memorable vacation.
Wailea Beach Resort Location:
Located in the heart of Wailea on South Maui, the resort occupies a great spot. The hotel is located oceanfront between Ulua and Wailea beaches. It’s walking distance to the Shops at Wailea and is on a walking path that connects many of the Wailea resorts.
Want to learn more about Wailea? Check out our where to stay on Maui article.
Highlights of Marriott’s Wailea Beach Resort:
Wailea Beach Resort Pools
The Wailea Beach resort has three pools spread across its property. This is a nice feature as the adult pool is actually quiet as it’s located quite a walk away from the kid-friendly Nalu Adventure Pool.
The three pools are:
- Maluhia infinity pool: this is their signature adults-only infinity pool with unobstructed views of the Pacific
- NALU Adventure pool: this pool is open to all ages but you’ll primarily find families here. They have Maui’s longest waterslide (325 feet long), a swim-through grotto, and a splash zone for kids
- Ohi Pool: this is a two level pool which welcomes all ages and overlooks the ocean. During our stay this was the least crowded pool
Wailea Beach Resort Rooms
The Wailea Beach resort has 547 residential-style rooms, which includes 56 suites. But I was surprised to see that they had so many because thanks to the layout of the resort, it really doesn’t feel this large. Rather than everyone being in one or two large towers, many of the rooms are split into separate, smaller buildings.
Every room in the resort has a lanai (patio) so you can enjoy the fresh air and ocean-breeze without leaving your room. And the ground level rooms have extended lanais that feel more like a small outdoor living room.
The rooms are categorized by their view: garden, partial ocean view, ocean view, and oceanfront. The oceanfront rooms offer the closest proximity to the water, which is what we stayed in while we were there. But none of the rooms are beachfront as the hotel is located in between two beaches on a small bluff. And both of these beaches are on our list of the best beaches on Maui.
Our room was a good size and comfortably fit our small family, though we didn’t spend much time in the room with so much to do at the resort.
You can find a full room tour from our stay in the video below. Plus, we share all the great activities you can do while staying at the Wailea Beach Resort. We had a blast staying there, as you can tell in the video.
Wailea Beach Resort Restaurants
There is no shortage of food on-site at the Wailea Beach Resort. Here you’ll find:
- HUMBLE Marks Kitchin by Roy Yamaguchi: their upscale option with ocean views and it’s an amazing option for a sunset dinner.
- KAPA bar and grill: casual, open-air restaurant overlooking a pool
- Whale’s Tale Beach Bar: coffee, juice, smoothies, and a small food menu are available at this small restaurant on the walking path to Wailea Beach
- Mo’Bettah Food Truck and Nalu Beach Bar: the adventure pool has food options available at this food truck which has a menu adults and keiki will enjoy
- Sunsets Bar: the adults-only serenity pool also has their own options available from Sunsets bar
- Starbucks: for a quick coffee in the morning, there is a Starbucks available near the lobby
- Private dining: and if you’re looking for private dining options, they have an oceanfront candlelight option. Check out more beachfront private dining options on Maui.
Plus, there are plenty of food options walking distance from the hotel. Just a few minutes away you’ll find the Shops at Wailea, with plenty of restaurant choices for everyone.
Wailea Beach Resort Activities
The activities are where the Wailea Beach Resort really shines. There are so many free activities daily, which I’m shocked more people don’t take advantage of. Some of the activities include:
- Lei making
- Hula lessons
- Outrigger canoe
- Yoga classes
- ‘Ukulele lessons
- Sunset torch lighting
- Movie nights
- Poi Pounding
- Hawaiian cultural games
If we had to recommend just one paid activity to do while you’re staying in Wailea, this sunrise snorkel would top the list.
Wailea Beach Resort Luau
A number of hotels in Hawaii have hotel luaus. But the Te Au Moana Luau is truly one of the best on Maui. It’s not an inexpensive luau, but it is definitely a luxury experience. The luau is located on the oceanfront walking path so you have a chance of getting a spectacular sunset view. The food is served family style, the service is exceptional, and the performers are some of the best.
Learn more about the Te Au Moana luau along with our other favorite luaus on Maui.
There are a couple of other amenities that make the Wailea Beach Resort stand out.
- Arrival and departure lounge: arrive early or leaving late? Their lounge is perfect for you. Head here for a shower or to freshen up.
- Keiki club: children ages 5-7 are able to take advantage of the keiki club. Reservations are required.
- GameSpace: If you’re trying to spend a little time out of the sun, this lounge style game room is fun for all ages.
- Beach chair service: While the hotel isn’t beachfront, you can still enjoy Wailea Beach with a beach chair and umbrella, available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Why we love Marriott’s Wailea Beach Resort:
We stay in a lot of hotels for our job (a perk we love) and some of them feel more special and magical than others. Some of our favorite things about the resort are:
- Feels quiet: the resort feels a lot quieter than some of the other hotels in Wailea. While it is smaller than some down the road, I think the layout also adds to the serenity of the spot.
- Free activities: while sometimes it’s great to just hang at the pool or beach, we did love having so many free activities at our fingertips. That included a canoe ride that we’d paid for and done previously.
- Nalu Adventure pool: The Grand Wailea next door wins the best pool on Maui competition. But the Wailea Beach Resort comes in at a strong second place. We loved having a very fun pool that our son loved spending hours at. And for anyone traveling without children, you’ll love that it’s far away from the adult serenity pool.
Things to know before booking Marriott’s Wailea Beach Resort:
Before you decide whether the Wailea Beach Resort is right for your vacation, there are some additional things you should consider. Some are good, some are not-so-good, but all are important to know before picking accommodations for your vacation.
- Loud beds: We’ve seen this complaint pop up in a few reviews and unfortunately, they weren’t wrong. While the bed itself was comfortable, our mattress made a squeaking noise every time you rolled over.
- Not beach front: This is an ocean-front hotel, but it’s not beach front. All beaches in Hawaii are public (amazing!), but some hotels are positioned so it’s easy to walk straight from their property to the sand. The Wailea Beach Resort is located between two excellent beaches, so you’ll have a 5 or so minute walk to either beach. Not a huge inconvenience to us, but it’s important to know while booking.
- Muted, Marriott vibe: While we really do love Marriott properties, some parts of this resort felt a little more “Marriott”, and a little less “beach vacation vibe”. Specifically, the rooms and the lobby were a bit more basic and understated compared to the other high-end Wailea hotels.
- Parking and resort fee: resort fees are fairly standard at Hawaii hotels. The Wailea Beach Resort charges a $45 per night resort fee (as of 2022), which is not included in the published room rate.
Booked your hotel and now planning the rest of your trip to Maui? We make the trip planning easy with our Maui itineraries.
“Just wanted to tell you that we followed your vacation guide almost to the T and had a wonderful time when we went a few months ago in November! Your recommendations were awesome!”Allan D.
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.