Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: A luxury experience meets a nature lover’s dream, making for the perfect Kona Honeymoon.
Overview of the Holualoa Inn
If you’re looking for an intimate, luxurious Hawaiian nature experience, this is the bed and breakfast for you. Every inch of the 30 acre property is meticulously thought out and kept. Welcome to your getaway, 1,400 feet above sea level, giving you unbelievable land- and sea-scape views. Among the 30 acre property, you’ll stroll through a culture walk, encouraging you to step into a meditative mindset; experience true garden to table coffee and cuisine; meander through flower and culinary herb gardens; and wander through coffee bean and fruit orchards, including 5,300 coffee trees.
This B&B is tailored to an upscale experience, and is perfect for a honeymoon, couple’s getaway, or a solo retreat. But don’t let us tell you who to take, just note that the Holualoa Inn is catering to an adult crowd and isn’t what you’re looking for if you’re planning a family vacation. Rooms accommodate two or three guests, no more, and there is only one ADA accessible room. Their Red Barn Room is by far the most popular, large and private, with a full kitchen and living room, so bear in mind this room is rarely available.
The Holualoa Inn Key Facts
The Holualoa Inn Location:
Not far from Kona, the Holualoa Inn is just 13 miles from the airport and 6 miles from downtown Kailua-Kona. While you can absolutely spend the majority of your time getting lost in the beauty on-site, you have plenty of casual and fine dining, entertainment, and shopping options in the heart of Kona, just a 15 minute drive away.
The Holualoa Inn Pool:
The Holualoa has one unheated pool and a hot tub overlooking a breathtaking ocean view.
The Holualoa Inn Review: why we love it
- Fewer fees: Unlike vacation rentals, hotels, and resorts, the Holualoa Inn only charges a room rate and tax, so you’re paying for a luxury experience and saving on some of the high, extra costs of a Hawaii vacation.
- Stunning views: With the elevation and the size of the property, the Holualoa Inn is able to take advantage of and add to some breath taking views. This isn’t even limited to in-room or poolside scenery, but everything your eyes fall on from the moment you step onto the property is well thought out and stunning.
- Great location: With this escape from reality, you would think you’d have to go off the beaten path to the middle of nowhere, but you’re just 15 minutes from downtown Kailua-Kona. So while you will need a car, you’re not far from any Kona experience you could possibly want.
- Tranquil: Calm is the name of the game here. There are 4 rooms, 2 suites, the cottage, and the barn, so you’re not among hotel or vacation rental level crowds. 30 acres, 8 spaces to book. Plus among the gardens and orchards you’ll find a labyrinth and walking trails.
Things to Know Before Booking The Holualoa Inn
- This was built as a house: As with many small bed and breakfasts, the majority of the rooms are in one main structure, including the B&B kitchen, great room, and most guest accommodations. The only exceptions are the Red Barn Room and the Darrell Hill Cottage, so these are the rooms to book if you want a more private and secluded experience.
- Limited food options: What they serve is pretty much what you get on site. They serve very fresh, garden to table cuisine that varies seasonally, which is amazing for foodies, but you won’t find a something-for-everyone menu here.
- Not tailored for families: While children are welcome, you’ll find that with limited room capacities (maximum 3 occupants), limited on-grounds food options, and an overall tranquil, adult vibe, it isn’t really catering to children still finding their impulse control and inside voices.
The image above is courtesy of the Holualoa Inn, taken by Jumping Rocks Photography.
Want to check out other options on the Big Island? Read our reviews:
Westin Hapuna Beach: wake up on the best beach on the Big Island
Waikoloa Beach Villas: central and walkable
Outrigger Kona Resort and Spa
The Best Big Island Itinerary
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Big Island itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
We just got back from the Big Island and we used 3 different itinerary days from your guide. You helped us use our limited time well, and we’re grateful! We hope we can visit Hawaii again sometime and explore a different island.Amber Medel
Get The Big Island Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Hawai’i (Big Island).