Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here.
In a nutshell: while most luxury resorts on Maui are in Wailea, the Ritz enjoys a prime location in north west Maui, just a short drive from one of our favorite beaches, Kapalua Bay.
Overview of the Ritz Carlton
Sitting on 22,000 acres which encompasses two 18-hole golf courses, a massive multi-tiered pool and two hot tubs, and a beautiful labyrinth right by the water. While it’s not far from amenities in Kapalua, it is delightfully removed for those looking for a little bit of a quieter experience. There is a paid kids program for children ages 5-14 and several restaurants on site in addition to tennis courts, a nice spa, fitness center, and an upscale lounge. They have great options for rooms from standard guest rooms to 2 bedroom, 2,500 sq ft penthouses with full kitchens.
The Ritz Carlton Key Facts
The Ritz Carlton Location:
This Ritz Carlton is in Kapalua, on the northwest part of the island of Maui. It is 20 minutes from Lahaina and about an hour from the airport. We love this area, but you just need to be cautious if you’re visiting in the winter as it does get quite a bit more rain and the ocean can get rough with north swells. While it is not beach front, you can easily get to DT Fleming Beach via a short path, and they offer a shuttle service to the nearby beaches within 2 miles.
The Ritz Carlton Pool:
There is one very large multi-level pool and two whirlpool spas that are open 24 hours a day.
The Ritz Carlton Review: why we love it
- Great customer service: As to be expected from a luxury hotel, the staff goes above and beyond every time.
- Location: We do love this area, and even though the hotel isn’t beach front, the property is beautiful and it’s so easy to get to the beach, it really doesn’t feel like you’re losing out on anything.
- 24/7 pool: most resort pools close pretty early in Hawaii, so this is a great perk, especially for night owls or travelers who still want to use the pool after excursion days or most groups have turned in. Poolside drinks and food are only available until about 5:00pm.
- Large rooms: When you’re paying premium prices, it’s really nice to have a room that gives back with some square footage. Although they are pretty basic, they’re perfect for families. Sign me up for a room I can put our baby’s pack n play in while still having plenty of space to move around!
Things to Know Before Booking The Ritz Carlton
- Rooms are dated: While clean and functional, the rooms are not anything to write home about, and they’re pretty basic as far as luxury hotels go. There were some pretty extensive renovations done in April and May 2023, but based on recent reviews these renovations were primarily to common areas rather than the rooms themselves.
- Resort and parking fees: Unfortunately, high resort and parking fees are par for the course in Hawaii. Like many resorts, the Ritz Carlton charges both a daily resort fee and a daily parking fee. The resort fee is included in the room rate, unlike most resorts. Parking is valet only at $45/day (before tip, June 2023). This can be sticker shock if you’re not expecting it.
- Winter weather: northwest Maui is wonderful in the summer but the weather can get a little dicey in the winter. You’ll get more rain and some north ocean swells which can make swimming in the ocean dangerous.
Want to check out other options on Maui? Read our reviews:
Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka’anapali: centrally located and great pool
Makena Surf: luxurious, secluded vacation rentals
Kapalua Bay Villas: a northwest Maui escape
The Best Maui Itinerary
Ready to plan the rest of your vacation? We have you covered with our Maui itinerary. This download and go itinerary takes you on a planned out route around the island seeing the best sights and eating at the best restaurants.
I was hesitant to purchase this because I lived in Hawaii and we go back all the time. However, you have an outstanding guide. I am glad I purchased it.Anthony G.
Get The Maui Itinerary
The step-by-step itinerary takes you to all the best beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants, and sights. You’ll get six carefully planned excursion days to help you see the can’t miss stops no matter how limited your time is.
Get all the details on our itinerary and download it for a memorable and easily planned trip to Maui.